Print this Post

My KiwiChat Camp Story by Deanna Herbert

Happy to be out of the schoolroom for the week, I grinned and whooped as Mum and I arrived at Totara Springs camp in Matamata.  I was excited.  I knew that there were going to be lots of fun times to be had this week if I was brave enough to try.  Nervously, I got out of the car.  And looked around at my new surroundings.  Mum and I dropped our bags in our room, then headed to the hall, where everyone was gathering.  Worrying that I knew no-one, I glanced at Mum for reassurance.  Three older girls came up to us and introduced themselves.  They were going to be our helpers.  I relaxed.  It was going to be OK.  We went over the programme and organised our gear, then headed to bed early, knowing 6:30 am starts were expected all week.  There were so many things to do.  I especially enjoyed racing down the hydroslide, performing in the concert, and lying on the floor in the dark on movie night with my new friends.  I wasn’t so keen on creating silly putty, or finding things in the scavenger hunt.  I laughed when Bronwyn’s face was smeared with chocolate sauce in fear factor.  A highlight was spending my hard-earned “kiwicamp” money at the shop and buying make-up to wear at the disco.  Roll on next year’s camp.  I’m up for it.

The following two tabs change content below.
Having been associated with TalkLink for over 7 years through my daughter who uses an AAC device I have always been passionate about encouraging and supporting other people to use their devices to their maximum potential.

Latest posts by Leesa (see all)

Permanent link to this article: https://www.talklink.org.nz/index.php/2011/06/06/my-kiwichat-camp-story-by-deanna-herbert/

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

Donate Now